Monday, August 22, 2011

SCULPTURE OF THE WEEK 8/22/11

 

This week I wanted to give you the background on my piece "Great With Child". It was created first out of clay, then cast in bronze. I then patinaed (colored) it with dark rich black-browns, and polished areas to a shining gold. The story behind this piece comes from when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was at a standing room only concert at the Ritz in New York City, and the room became too crowded for the safety of my unborn child. I went upstairs to the "Press Only" area and was greeted by Joseph Shabalala, founder of the headlining group, Lady Smith Black Momboza, with the words "You are great with child. Come, sit with us". Several years later, when my daughter Hana-li was a young child, we went to see Lady Smith Black Momboza play again. I wanted to introduce Joseph Shabalala and his group to her, the child that I had been so "great with" at their previous concert. But as much as I tried to get us backstage, security wouldn't even let us get a message to Joseph Shabalala. I finally yelled his name, with as much intention as I could muster, into the far reaches of the area backstage. A few moments later, he appeared at the entrance. I asked him if he remembered when I was "great with child" at the Ritz. He nodded and said that he did. I then gestured at Hana-li, so small and mesmerized, and said "Here, this is the child." Joseph brought us backstage, and soon the whole group had surrounded Hana-li, smiling and taking her in. The child that had listened to their concert while still in the womb. This sculpture is dedicated to Joseph Shabalala, lead singer for Lady Smith Black Mombazo. The memory of his kindness finds its home in this sculpture.

Visit my website to see all of my work: www.ninawinters.com
And feel free to email me with any questions: Nina@ninawinters.com

No comments:

Post a Comment