Monday, August 8, 2011

Sculpture breakdown "The One Who Learned to Fly"

I wanted to start a weekly tradition of posting a piece on my Facebook pages and explaining a bit about it. For this first week, I chose my sculpture "The One Who Learned to Fly." When my daughter Hana-li was little, I made her a costume with wings. I suddenly realized that she thought she would actually be able to fly with these wings. When she understood that they weren't real wings, she began to cry. I sat her down and promised her that in this lifetime, spiritually, emotionally or physically, she would learn to fly. This is sculpture is dedicated to her. It incorporates elements from "Cirque du Soleil" and Japanese anime to create a mix of edgy fantasy and inspiration. It is cast in bronze, with wings of bronze, silver, copper and parachute material. I subtly colored it with Patinas (chemical powders that react with the bronze) and metallic waxes. To find out more about the process of creating bronze sculpture, visit my website at www.ninawinters.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment