Monday, August 15, 2011

Sculpture of the Week 8/15/11

This week, I wanted to write something about the inspiration and technique behind my piece "Fly, Fly, Little Wing". Cast in bronze, this piece was then patinaed (colored) with reds and browns, and the face and hand were polished to a shining gold.
The idea for this sculpture came from Celine Dion's song "Fly". In her song, a young girl leaves her body at death and flies away. It takes the sadness of death and turns it into the beauty of finding new life.
 
"Fly, fly, Little Wing, far beyond imagining, the moon will rise, the sun will set, but I won't forget..." 

I wanted to make a piece that represented this uplifting idea. 

When I began making my Wearable Sculptures, I decided to take the bird from "Fly, Fly, Little Wing" and create a necklace that incorporated the inspiration from the larger piece, yet still had its own unique voice. I call this Wearable Sculpture "Freedom to Fly". It is cast in bronze, like my larger works, then put on a handmade necklace of bronze chain and ribbon. I hand patina (color) each Wearable Sculpture, so they are all unique. "Freedom to Fly" is a wearable reminder that we can all take flight and rise to new heights. 

Both pieces are dedicated to my sister, Judith.
 

2 comments:

  1. The first time I visited this place. Warm greetings from me. I am glad to know you here. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! You are welcome back anytime.

    ReplyDelete