Wednesday, November 28, 2012

SCULPTURE OF THE WEEK


I had an incredible experience recently, while selling one of my sculptures. A woman came to an art exhibition I was part of - after the show was over - and began looking around. Her eye kept going to my sculpture, "The One Who Learned to Fly", so I told her the story behind the piece:

When my daughter was young, I made her a costume with fabric wings. I realized that she thought the wings were real - and when I had to tell her that they weren't, she began to cry. I looked her in the eye and promised her that this lifetime, spiritually, emotionally or physically, she would learn to fly.

When I finished telling the woman about the inspiration for this sculpture, she began to cry. She told me how much the story meant to her, how she had gone through something  similar and how she NEEDED the sculpture for her collection.

It is incredible for an artist when a piece speaks to someone and brings about such a strong emotional response. It is my "raison d'etre" (reason for being).


No comments:

Post a Comment