Thursday, August 9, 2012

SCULPTURE OF THE WEEK

This week I'll be sharing the story of my piece, "Great With Child", that was recently added to the art collection of Joseph Shabalala, singer of Ladysmith Black Mambazo. The back story begins 24 years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter. I was at a standing room only concert at the Ritz in New York City, and the room became too crowded for the safety of my unborn child. I went upstairs to the "Press Only" area and was greeted by Joseph Shabalala, founder of Ladysmith, with the words "You are great with child. Come, sit with us". Several years later, when my daughter, Hana-li, was a young child, we went to see Ladysmith Black Mambazo play again. I wanted to introduce Joseph and his group to her, the child that I had been so "great with" at their previous concert. But as much as I tried to get us backstage, security wouldn't even let us get a message to him. I finally yelled his name, with as much intention as I could muster, into the far reaches of the backstage area. A few moments later, he appeared at the entrance. I asked him if he remembered when I was "great with child" at the Ritz. He nodded and said that he did. I then gestured at Hana-li and said, "Here, this is the child." Joseph brought us backstage, and soon the whole group had surrounded her, smiling and taking in the child that had listened to their concert while still in the womb. This sculpture is dedicated to Joseph Shabalala, lead singer for Ladysmith Black Mambazo, in the memory of his kindness. It is now on it's way to his home in South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment