Wednesday, June 6, 2012

SCULPTURE OF THE WEEK 6/6

I wanted to share a bit of history on my sculpture, "The Littlest Mermaid", and it's inspiration. I went to Copenhagen with my daughter when she was very young. We visited the famous statue of The Little Mermaid, a 4 foot tall bronze sculpture created by Edvard Erikson in 1909. The statue was commissioned by a man who had been fascinated by the ballet about the fairytale in Copenhagen's Royal Theatre and asked the prima ballerina to model for the statue. After seeing this major tourist attraction, I wanted to create 
my own version of this delightful sculpture. Cast in bronze and patinaed with shimmering greens and blues, "The Littlest Mermaid" has more attitude than most as she surveys the world with total calm.



No comments:

Post a Comment